‘I think it’s saving my life’: Veterans find chance for new start as Veterans Transition House embarks on big changesNEW BEDFORD — Steve Viveiros, a 36-year-old city native, served in the Navy from 2003 to 2007, including a six-month tour in Iraq. Coming back into civilian life, he didn’t…
Veterans Transition House gets $300K to renovate 2 propertiesNEW BEDFORD — The Veterans Transition House has received a $300,000 grant from the Alfiero Family Charitable Foundation in support of its $1.3 million Building Hope for Heroes Capital Campaign…
News & Events
An ambitious group of Barrington children are selling face coverings to raise money for a worthy cause.
James Reid, executive director of the Veterans Transition House gave Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey a tour of one of the future transitional housing properties being constructed and renovated by…
With the help of the Veterans Transition House’s first capital campaign and those who donated to it, the nonprofit organization held a groundbreaking for the Anthony C. and Salvatore H.…
NEW BEDFORD — The Veterans Transition House is in a transition of its own.
Standard-Times photographer Peter Pereira and staff writer Aimee Chiavaroli in last Sunday’s paper documented the lives of VTH veterans as they try to put their lives back together. Pereira’s photos…
The Standard-Times recently did a story on the Veterans Transition House in New Bedford that included powerful photos by staff photographer Peter Pereira and emotional story telling by staff reporter…
A New Bedford veteran, who is devoting his life to helping others after suffering a combat-related brain injury in Iraq, is this year’s Southeastern Massachusetts Veteran of the Year.
If you would like to assist VTH and the veterans we serve, please consider these immediate needs as suggestions on how to make an impactful donation:
- Gift cards (grocery and clothing preferred)
- Unrestricted or memorial donations (donate here)
- Gas gift card for veteran transportation (150,000 miles are driven each year by our vans)
- Sponsor the naming rights to a bedroom in the new SFC Bruce Portas, U.S. Army (Ret) Transitional Housing Center ($10,000 can be pledged over five years) (view naming opportunities)
VTH welcomes the donation of certain items that can directly benefit the lives of veterans. These items include:
- New sheets, blankets, pillows (Twin and XL sizes)
- New bath towels, washcloths, and bath mats
- Artwork (military or patriotic themed art or art from local artists)
Unfortunately, VTH cannot accept the donation of certain items including:
- Food and beverage products
- Used clothing and shoes
- Used furniture
- Used electronics